Tuesday, November 17, 2009

glass water bottles are for lookin'


i know this is random. but last, last weekend when i went to old orchard, greg also took me to tj maxx afterwards. tj maxx is definitely my favorite store to walk around staring at all their kitchen goodies.

anyway, we discovered these glass water bottles. and given that i've been thoroughly scared about the BPAs that people talk about being distributed in my water when i use plastic nalgenes, i was very interested in these glass water bottles. although i kept on using my plastic water bottles because i own so many, my purple NU water bottle was getting ready to retire as the opener spout button was breaking. in my opinion, i skipped the aluminum water bottle phase because it was so weird to me. the aluminum water bottle was "sleek" but seriously, i hated how the opening was so tiny and that because of the aluminum, you couldn't see the inside of the bottle very easy, thus meaning to me, lots of dirty things could be hiding/growing/multiplying in there without you noticing!

so i've been using my glass water bottle since i've gotten it. i throw it in the dishwasher whenever i run the dishwasher (once every four/five days because i wait until i use up all my dishes and have a full load before running it). i got a little bit of a scare today because the cap was coming apart. it's made of this plastic part that has the screw grooves to close the bottle, the glass circle on the top of the bottle (for aesthetics i think) and then that metal part to make it look prettier. the metal part and the plastic part separated slightly, and the glass part became loose. but i just kept pushing the metal part back down on the plastic, and for now it's holding. i think i just won't dishwash the top part.

i like how i can see the inside of the bottle, and the top is an extra cute addition. only problem is that i can easily down 2/3 of the bottle in less than a minute. and thus, my water supply is done after a single class (or two). i usually refill, but it scares me to use the water fountains here because everyone is sick. and the water isn't as tasty as my brita water. oh well. i'm getting my swine flu shot tomorrow!

2 comments:

Heather McDowell said...

Great find! And you are SO RIGHT to chose glass. Check out some of these stats: http://www.betrulyyou.com/pages/chooseglass.htm

My friend and I have a small business and we sell glass water bottles, among other eco-friendly products, so check us out: www.betrulyyou.com
We have a number of sizes, so one may last you more than a swallow or two.

Fun site you have!!
Heather

Lillyan said...

!!!!

i am an ocd consumer in PANIC. if you know the brand of this glass water bottle, could you PLEASE let me know? i have the exact same brand of bottle but mine has little red flowers all over it, and just fifteen minutes ago i accidently BROKE IT and its MY FAVORITE BOTTLE IN THE WORLD. so now i'm on the internet trying to purchase another one, but i don't even know where to begin! PLEASE if you know anything email me: winterbedrooms@gmail.com

i would SUPERBLY appreciate it!!!
lillyan