Saturday, November 14, 2009

sounds about right

i was feeling insecure today. so after cell bio, i just went up to my professor and asked if he had time to talk to me. he was very nice and said he was available. i basically told him my situation. although i wasn't worried because i was doing fabulously in his class, i wanted to hear from him what he thought i should do for the following year should things not follow through.

it was interesting. he spent an hour talking to me about this. i walked away with a lot of advice. basically, i should write out my resume/cv and take it to a doctor (or group of doctors) and have them stage a mock interview and help me determine my weaknesses. then i could use this coming next year to deal with those weaknesses. he also advised that i find something that i truly want to do for the next year, and that it doesn't necessarily have to do with medicine. although he suggested that i do something medically-related on the side. it doesn't have to be my main focus.

anyway. i talked to him about life and jobs and happiness and when exactly does a person feel like they've found what really suits them. and he responded that ten years ago, the decisions he made were about right for the person he was ten years ago, but now, he wouldn't make the same decisions because it wouldn't be appropriate for the person he is today.

i'm lucky to have a professor who is willing to talk to me extensively even though he barely knows me. haha. except that i want to be child pyschiatrist.

it sounds about right.

No comments: